Self Diagnosis – Do You Have Bad Breath?
Most who suffer from bad breath don’t even know it. But if you might be concerned,
here are some ways to self diagnose:
- Wipe the surface of your mouth with a piece of cotton gauze and smell it. This is probably the most honest way to judge. Moreover, if you notice a yellowish stain on the cotton, that’s a likely sign that you have an elevated sulfide production level.
- Lick the back of your hand. Let it dry for about ten seconds, then smell. If you notice an odor, you have a breath disorder, because the sulfur salts from your tongue have been transferred to your hand.
- Smell Your Floss. If your floss smells, you do indeed have bad breath.
Now you know the signs, symptoms, and causes of this embarrassing condition.
However, most importantly, you need to know how to battle your bad
breath. The most effective ways are:
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned at least 2-4 times a year
- Floss every day.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Use a tongue scraper to scrape your tongue frequently.
- Try an anti-bacterial gel or spray.
- Use an alcohol free mouthwash once a day.
- Ask about a product: Breath Rx
- Drink water frequently, both to keep lingering particles from
- sticking as well as to fend off dry mouth.
- Eat right. Choose less acidic food and balance the pH
- levels in your mouth.
There may be other contributing factors including GI issues (e.g. acid reflux) that may also contribute or teeth concerns. Either way, here at Life Smiles, we can get you on the right track in preventing embarrassing bad breath issues.