Did you know that your mouth can reflect the health of your whole body?
At Life Smiles, a family friendly dentist in Plymouth, MN, we understand and care about your whole body well-being. Each time our patients come in we check your mouth for any signs of additional health concerns. Regular dental exams can prove to be beneficial to your entire body.
Also called the body’s “barometer,” your mouth can show signs and symptoms of several other diseases.
Disorders that manifest themselves in the mouth or tongue can include:
- Infectious mononucleosis – signs may include inflamed gums and small hemorrhage spots on the roof of the mouth
- Diabetes – signs may be swollen, red gums and sensitivity to light tapping on the teeth
- Bulimia – often includes loss of enamel and dentin
- Sinusitis – can feel like a toothache when the sinus cavity is inflamed
- Leukemia – a patient may have soreness inside cheeks, throat, tonsils and lips
- Vitamin deficiencies – bleeding gums could mean more Vitamin C is needed or a burning tongue is a sign of iron, folic acid, and vitamin B12 definciency